Will Smith Shares Update on 'I Am Legend' Sequel (Exclusive) - Latest Global News

Will Smith Shares Update on ‘I Am Legend’ Sequel (Exclusive)

Will Smith And Michael B Jordan don’t give up their plans for one I am Legend Consequence.

ET’s Kevin Frazier spoke with Smith at a special fan screening for Bad Boys: Ride or Die On Wednesday, the Oscar-winning actor shared an update on the planned sequel to his 2007 post-apocalyptic thriller, which he and Jordan are producing and in which he plans to star.

“We had a couple of weeks together about a month ago,” Smith said of the development of the project. “I think it looks good.”

“[We have some] Really solid ideas… I think we will make it to the screen together,” he added. “This guy is the truth, so I would like to do that.”

I am Legend Starring Smith, he played the last living person in New York City after a devastating virus that wiped out most of the population and spawned deadly nocturnal mutants. At the end of the film, his character finally meets other survivors, which leaves the door open for many possible sequel ideas.

Will Smith walks through post-apocalyptic New York City in “I Am Legend.”Warner Bros. Pictures

However, as a seasoned franchise star, Smith knows it takes the right formula to keep audiences coming back. From working with again Martin Lawrence for the fourth film in the Bad Boys franchise, he told ET that his benchmark for making a follow-up film was that it had to “stand on its own.”

“I told myself [what] “I would never hurt the fans to do a sequel just because it would be cool to have a sequel,” he explained. “This meets my needs.”

“We took an aggressive approach with this film,” he continued. “We tried to keep it exciting – we wanted it to be a full-fledged popcorn movie, but we wanted it to grow with the characters.”

In addition to playing with the advanced age of their characters – the first Bad Boys came out almost 30 years ago – the franchise has also grown by adding more characters for audiences to follow and root for. Vanessa HudgensAlexander Ludwig and Paola Núñez appeared in the last two films as Smith and Lawrence’s team members in Advanced Miami Metro Operations, expanding the franchise’s universe.

“There are several scenes where you’ll be rooting for multiple characters,” Smith said of the star-studded cast. “It’s Mike and Marcus, just like you love them, but we’ve expanded and there’s more room for more performers and it’s open and, you know, the people are great.”

Hudgens in particular had to work really hard for some of her action-packed scenes. After filming was delayed from last year WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes, the actress returned to finish filming her scenes. However, at this point in time She was pregnant – is expecting her first child with husband Cole Tucker.

“She’s a hard worker, she wants to make it,” Smith remembers. “I thought, ‘No, don’t worry, you’ll always be able to tell your child that they were in that scene with you!'”

Bad Boys: Ride or Die hits theaters June 7th.

RELATED CONTENT:

Sharing Is Caring:

Leave a Comment