F1 Management and FIA Reach Peace Deal to End Infighting – Autoblog - Latest Global News

F1 Management and FIA Reach Peace Deal to End Infighting – Autoblog

Mohammed Ben Sulayem, FIA President, and Stefano Domenicali, CEO of the Formula 1 Group, at the Miami Grand Prix. (Getty Images)

The contempt between Formula 1 and its governing body has subsided as both sides announced on Wednesday that they had agreed to “commit to a strategic plan for the future of Formula 1”.

FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem told the Associated Press at the Miami Grand Prix earlier this month that his relationship with F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali has “never been better” and the two are working to further strengthen the alliance.

In a statement issued to the AP on Wednesday on behalf of the FIA ​​and Formula 1 management, the two sides announced that they had established a working relationship for the benefit of Formula 1.

“The FIA ​​Formula 1 World Championship has never been stronger and is growing globally, and the FIA ​​​​and Formula 1 are committed to achieving the best results for the entire sport,” the statement said. “To this end, both parties are developing a new strategic plan that will allow us to seize the opportunities and further increase the potential of Formula 1 in the coming years.”

FOM and the FIA, particularly Ben Sulayem, have been at odds since he was elected president following the controversial 2021 season finale in Abu Dhabi. Topics ranged from Ben Sulayem’s ban on drivers wearing jewelry in cars or making political statements to Formula One’s belief that Ben Sulayem had jeopardized the series’ finances when he publicly questioned overall valuations.

A whistleblower also filed two complaints against Ben Sulayem regarding interference with the 2023 season. The FIA ​​investigated and cleared Ben Sulayem of any wrongdoing.

But the biggest issue between the factions was how each side took Michael Andretti and General Motors’ request to expand the F1 grid to include a two-car American team backed by Cadillac. Ben Sulayem not only opened a process for Andretti to apply to join Formula 1, but he also agreed with Andretti and openly supports both brands joining the series.

FOM and the existing 10 teams have expressed their desire to keep the starting lineup at 10 teams so as not to dilute the financial pot. FOM has also questioned Andretti’s ability to be competitive at the highest level of motorsports and rejected Andretti’s request.

The Andretti situation was not addressed by either party in the statement. Andretti and Cadillac representatives met with both the FOM and FIA at the Miami Grand Prix.

___

AP Formula 1: https://apnews.com/hub/formula-one

Sharing Is Caring:

Leave a Comment