Autopsy Confirms 14-year-old Died from Spicy Chip Challenge - Latest Global News

Autopsy Confirms 14-year-old Died from Spicy Chip Challenge

When 14-year-old Harris Wolobah of Massachusetts died last fall, the boy’s family suspected it might be related to a viral spicy potato chip he had eaten just hours earlier. Wolobah’s family was right, according to an autopsy report Associated Press.

The high school student died on September 23, 2023 after eating a Paqui brand chip called “One Chip Challenge” that was dusted with the extremely hot peppers Carolina Reaper and Naga Viper. Wolobah tried the chip at school and went to the nurse because he complained of stomach pain. The teenager was sent home but his condition worsened and he was taken to hospital where he later died.

The cause of death according to the autopsy report seen by APCardiopulmonary arrest occurred “related to recent ingestion of a food substance with a high concentration of capsaicin.” The boy also had an “enlarged heart and a congenital heart defect,” according to the AP, although it is unclear whether these conditions were known to the boy or his family before his death.

Paqui’s One Chip Challenge chips were first released in 2016 and skyrocketed in popularity after becoming a social media sensation. Celebrities like Tony Hawk And Shaquille O’Neal went viral for taking on the challenge, but from all the clips circulating on YouTube and TikTok, it was clear that this meal was not to be taken lightly.

A local TV news anchor in Denver actually vomited on air in 2017 after several reporters tried the challenge. KWGN’s Natalie Tysdal wrote about the incident on Facebook:

So what really happened on TV this morning in the One Chip Challenge? I thought I was fine until I took a sip of coffee to wash off the chip. I was vomiting, couldn’t breathe, and felt like fire was coming out of my mouth, nose, and ears. I had a bottle of water, a glass of milk, a tablespoon of honey and three mints and still felt on fire. An hour later I started having chills and a severe headache. Three hours have passed and I feel like I’ve been beaten up in a dark alley. Oh, and did I mention I shared the chip with my producer Scott Elliott? CRAZY! I wouldn’t recommend it.

The chips had a warning that they should not be consumed by children, but there was no formal ban on sales to minors. Even before Wolobah’s death in 2023, there were many reports of this Children get hurt of the challenge.

Shortly after Wolobah’s death, Paqui stopped selling One Chip Challenge chips and purged its website of the gimmicky advertising surrounding the product.

Sharing Is Caring:

Leave a Comment