“Taxpayers need to know why the state settled this case for nearly $ 5 million,” he said. Johnson said.
Ms. Totten did not respond to emails or phone calls on Sunday.
Kara Richardson, a spokeswoman for Georgia’s attorney general’s office, confirmed the settlement on Sunday but did not comment. Keith Barber, Mr. Thompson’s lawyer declined to comment Sunday.
Days after the shooting, Mr. Thompson was fired and charged with felony murder and aggravated assault. In June last year, a grand jury refused to address him.
Lindsay Milton, Mr. Lewis’s mother, implying at the time that race was a factor in the grand jury’s decision, said, “They will release this young man because my child was a Black man.”
To draw attention to Mr. Lewis’s case, his son, Brook Bacon, led a 63-mile march for justice in September from Sylvania, Ga., Near where Mr. Lewis was transferred to the office of the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Georgia in Savannah, Mr. Johnson said.
Mr. Bacon said in a statement, “We will not rest until his killer is behind bars.”
The U.S. Attorney’s Office said in September that it was “in consultation” with the FBI about Mr. Lewis’s death.
Jenna Sellitto, a spokeswoman for the field office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation in Atlanta, declined to comment Sunday. Barry L. Paschal, a U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Georgia, also declined to comment, but said the investigation is ongoing.